Wednesday 20 May 2009

Day 11 Inverness to Helmsdale

Day 11 60.58 miles time 4:24:16 average 15.8mph max 37.5mph

Punctures 0

Had a great night last night with John and Mike in Inverness. That did however mean a lie in, a headache, late breakfast, and a late 9:30 start.

While John was waiting to wave me off he inspected the bike and fortunately noticed that my back wheel had a couple of cracks where the spokes meet the rim. I think the wheels probably don't have quite enough spokes in them for touring. I decided to risk it and try to avoid the worst of the potholes. The morning was lovely; sunny, and fast. But I kept stopping to check the wheel. Were the cracks getting bigger or not?? I think they were but they may not have been.

Anyway, Deb was on her way up to Scotland to meet me tonight and as she had left so early she arrived at lunch time. Rather than look a gift horse in the mouth, we decided to take the bike back to Dingwall where an excellent bike shop supplied and fitted a new wheel for me. A quick dash back to Tain where Deb had picked me up and I was off again.

I missed just about all the showers today but rode over lots of wet roads where there had been showers. Must be my lucky day.

The coast road has been a delight and the Bridge Hotel in Helmsdale (tonight's digs) is fantastic. I'm sat behind reception using the owners laptop to type this.

No aches and pains at the moment so its looking good for the final push tomorrow.

I'm trying to raise some cash for Ashgate Hospice and Macmillan Cancer Support. If you are reading this and haven't yet sponsored me, please do. There are links to my Just Giving sites in one of the very earliet posts below. Or if you're in Ransom Wood there are sponsor forms in the kitchen. Thanks.

I should get to John o'Groats by about 2pm tomorrow all being well. I'm getting excited now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment